Whether you’re a bricklayer, concreter or electrician, the life of a tradie sure is a busy one - so fitting in healthy meals can be a hassle.
Not only are you up at the crack of dawn, you might not have the luxury of onsite microwaves or fridges to heat or store your lunch. Not to mention, who wants to whip up a healthy meal before the sun has even risen?
There are some tactics you can use that will have you swapping that fast food for a healthier, more nutritious option. We’ve come up with 5 tips to make healthy lunches possible for the busy tradie.
Get an Income Protection Insurance Quote
Insuranceline is a leading Income Protection Insurance provider in Australia.
Our Rate Saver Cover offers up to 85% of your income, up to $10,000 a month.**
- Pack an esky along with your tools It's likely you have an esky lying around the house from barbeques and camping trips. So if you don’t have access to a fridge, an esky can come in handy to keep your food cool and fresh. You can pack it the night before, and simply load it into your car with your tools in the morning.
- Take leftovers When cooking dinner at home, whether it be a stir fry, quiches or pastas, make that little bit extra and pack it in your esky for work the next day. Not only will this help trim your waistline, it will also save you a considerable amount of coin not buying takeaway food every day.
- Eat fresh Convenience foods available from service stations and fast food outlets are known to be packed with preservatives and additives. Think about integrating some fresh veggies, fruits and wholefoods into your weekly meal plans.
- Don’t forget the snacks Eating a healthy lunch is one thing, but you’ll also want to make sure you have some snacks on hand to keep your energy going throughout the day. Nuts, seeds, fruits, homemade protein balls and hard-boiled eggs are all good options for the busy tradie.
- Drink plenty of water Being in a physically demanding job will mean you’ll get dehydrated much faster. By drinking plenty of water, you’ll stay fresh and hydrated, and also will be less tempted to purchase those not so healthy options like soft drinks.
With the perception of tradies being that they love their meat pies and fast food, maybe it’s time to break away from that stigma. All it takes is a little extra prep the night before and an esky and you’ll be on your way to better health and a plumper wallet.